GUIDELINES FOR THE CHILDREN'S DEPARTMENT
Registration Guidelines for Children’s Programs
- For programs that require registration, you can register online at www.edisonpubliclibrary.net. You may also register over the phone by calling the Edison Public Library or by visiting the library itself.
- If an age or grade is specified for the program, your child must be of that age or grade when registering. Any children registered with the incorrect age will be canceled.
- Drop-in programs are for all-ages.
- When registering for a program you must select only one location, and one time and date. Do Not register for multiple times of the same program title, since this will cause all of your registrations to be canceled. (If you need help correcting a mistake call the library immediately.)
- Programs are open to Edison residents with a valid Edison library card.
- Children Kindergarten level and above must use their own library card to register for programs. Preschoolers only may use parents card and simply change the name to the child's name.
- Non-residents may only register the day before the program and only by phone with the help of the staff.
- Waiting lists are only taken in-house ½ hour before the program and is no guarantee that you will be admitted. Bring your library card. You must be present to get on the list and may not call into the library to be added.
- Children registered will have until 5 minutes from the start of the program to arrive. If they are not present at that time their spot will be given to someone on the waiting list.
- Anyone arriving once the program is at the halfway mark may not be permitted entry into the program. It is disruptive to the people already enjoying the program.
- If a child cannot attend a program the parent must call the library prior to the start of the program to cancel so another child may attend.
- If a registrant does not show for 2 programs they have registered for without canceling, the following guideline will apply: The registrant will be told to refrain from registering for programs for a two week period once notified by the librarian. Any existing registrations for programs within that two week period will be canceled.
- Family Time programs are simply that (for families to enjoy together). Please do not place your child in the program and leave since he or she may need your help.
- Programs for 3 – 6 yrs of age may require the parents to remain in the building but not be in the program. Ask about this before registering. These are usually 2-week series.
- After careful consideration, the Library Board has decided to have a “No Sibling” policy. In other words, only the children registered for the program will be permitted in the program room with the parents. This “No Sibling” policy offers you and your child quality time without distraction. We hope that parents will work together to assist each other with childcare during our Library Programs.
- In order for all attending the programs to have an enjoyable time we ask each parent to be sure your child does not become to loud or run around the program room and disrupt the flow of the program. If your child becomes too excitable you may be asked to step out of the room to quiet him down, but are certainly welcome to re-enter the program when he is quieter. Thank you for your consideration to your fellow parents.
Programs are publicized by:
- Signs in the library's children's department
- Monthly calendars available the last Monday of each month
- Our Web Page WWW.LMXAC.ORG/EDISONLIB
- Or calling and asking our children's department staff
INTERNET AND GAME COMPUTER POLICIES
Children's Internet Computers:
- Children's internet computers are available to children 12 years of age and under.
- Since filtering software is not used on public library computers parents must be responsible for supervising the content their children research on these computers.
- Parents of children second grade and younger must physically be seated at the computer with their children at all times.
- Adults are not permitted to use internet computers in the children's department but are invited to make use of the computers in the adult department.
- Internet use is limited to two half hour periods in a single day.
- Access to the internet can only be obtained with the use of your Edison Library card. Staff is not permitted to look up your card number.
- Educational activity computers are available to children by reservation ending 1/2 hour before the library closes.
- Children are permitted a single 1/2 hour reservation at a time.
- Reservations may be made in advance by phone.
- Each child must present a valid Edison Township Library card.
- A variety of computer software is available to borrow and use at home and may also be reserved. See our Computer Selection book available at the circulation desk.
RULES OF CONDUCTThe following Activities are not allowed in the Library:
- Playing of audio equipment so that others can hear it.
- Smoking, chewing tobacco, or the use of any other tobacco products.
- Carrying a weapon into the library unless authorized by law. Any patron authorized to carry a weapon must notify the library staff that he/she is carrying a weapon in the library.
- Bringing animals into the library except those needed to assist a person with a disability.
- Leaving a child under the age of 12 unattended in the library without supervision.
- Talking loudly, making noises, or engaging in other disruptive conduct.
- Interfering with another person's use of the library or with the library personnel's performance of their duties.
- Rollerblading, skateboarding or other recreational activities in the libraries' parking lots.
- Shoes and shirts must be worn.
Library privileges may be limited for the following reasons:
- Damaging library property
- Stealing library materials
- Threatening or physically harming staff or patrons
If these rules of conduct are not followed, appropriate disciplinary action will be taken. If it becomes necessary to ask a patron under the age of 18 to leave the library, the emergency contact listed on his or her library card application will be called. If that person cannot be reached, the police will be called.